APS Fellowship Nomination Instructions
Eligibility to Nominate
The sponsor and co-sponsor must be APS members.
Eligibility to be Nominated
Each January, once official membership counts are taken, a list of current members who are eligible for nomination and election to Fellowship will be uploaded into the nomination system. There is a minimum requirement of at least one year of continuous membership leading up to nomination year. The nominee must be an APS member in good standing as of January 1, 2016 to be eligible for nomination and election in 2017. This policy was established by the APS Council of Representatives, Policies and Procedures, as approved April 15, 2016. Please check the eligibility status of the person you would like to nominate in FluidReview before starting a nomination.
The sponsor shall provide the following:
- The nominee’s name, institution, and contact information
- A suggested citation (usually citations do not include the person’s name, and start with “For...”. See the APS Fellows Archive for examples. Limit the citation to 300 characters or less, including spaces)
- A supporting paragraph (expand on the citation and indicate the originality and significance of the contributions cited in 2500 characters or less including spaces)
- The sponsor’s and co-sponsor’s names, institutions, and emails
- The sponsor’s recommendation letter
- The co-sponsor’s recommendation letter
- Either the nominee's CV, or the Fellowship Nominee Background Summary Form including the nominee's academic and employment history, professional honors, principal publications list, and other contributions to physics
- Up to two additional letters of support (optional)
Instructions for Submitting a Nomination
Go to FluidReview, log in with your APS website username and password. (If you do not have an APS website username and password, or forgot it, you can create or reset them online.)
On the authorization page, click “Allow”
To begin a new nomination or continue a nomination, click the link View My Fellowship Nominations.
To submit a nomination:
- Click Enter Nominator Information. Enter your contact information (this is a one-time setup unless you need to make updates): Click Enter Nominator Information. When complete, click Save & Exit to return to this page to begin a nomination.
- Click the View Units button to see a list of all APS units reviewing nominations.
- Select an APS unit from the list screen, then click the start nomination button.
- Provide required information and click Submit a Nomination.
Nomination Review, Selection, and Notification
After the nomination deadline listed on the APS Fellowship Unit Deadlines page passes, the unit’s fellowship selection committee will begin its review and selection process. Selection committees are appointed by the related APS unit.
Selection committees recommend fellows for election. The recommendations of APS fellowship selection committees are reviewed and approved by the APS Fellowship Committee, then reviewed and elected by the APS Council of Representatives.
After selections are approved, the elected fellow, their sponsor, co-sponsor, selection committee chair, and the unit chair and secretary receive a notification letter from the APS President. APS will announce the elected fellows on the APS website and other media.
APS Honors staff will notify sponsors whose nominees were not elected fellow. Nominations are active for two years. If the nomination was reviewed once and not selected, it will be reviewed the next year, otherwise, it will expire.
When the next nomination cycle begins, nominators who have an active carry-over nomination will receive a reminder email to log-in to the nomination system to review and update their nomination as needed.
If a nomination is expired, the sponsor may submit a new nomination.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.